Pronoun Abuse

I’ve had it, people. Nouns and pronouns should agree, as we’ve discussed—briefly—before. According to an article (“All-Purpose Pronoun”) in the New York Times, this makes me a “grammarian” (with the old-fashioned, old fogey part of the description missing but clearly implied).

Whatever.

Someone is quoted saying, “Can’t we just accept that they is singular?”

No. No, we cannot. I’m sorry we don’t have a gender neutral singular pronoun, folks, but we don’t. And when I read things like these—all examples from recent news stories—I just shake my head:

• Every writer is in a different situation. Every writer [singular] has to evaluate their [plural] three P’s: Platform, Product, Promotion.

• That this person [singular] didn’t stay silent but called someone they [plural] trusted, their father, suggests that they were trying to understand what it was that they saw. There’s also maybe some shame, like they felt like they didn’t have the ability to stop the abuse or that because they first reacted to the horror and stepped away they have some self-blame. [A zillion plurals. Sheesh.]

• A writer [singular], in order to master their [plural] craft, must be willing to change.

That last one was written by someone in the Biz, who (ahem) should have known better.

It is very, very common to see plural pronouns paired with singular nouns. But for grammatical correctness, pronouns and the nouns they refer to (their antecedents) should agree; in other words, singular nouns (that person) require singular pronouns (he, she).

But it’s awkward when the gender is unspecified: When the pupil is ready, his or her teacher will come. As you all know, I personally would opt for the “universal masculine”: When the pupil is ready, his teacher will come. If this bothers you, you’ll have to recast the sentence: A teacher will turn up when the pupil is ready to learn. (It’s just an example; I know it sucks. The adage, actually, goes like this: When the pupil is ready, the teacher will come.)

Furthermore—and I know y’all hate this, but it’s true—the indefinite pronouns anyone, anybody, everyone, everybody, someone, somebody, no one, and nobody are always singular. This is just the way it is. Learn it so we can move on, please.

Yes, I know it wasn’t always this way; one linguist says the earliest specific condemnation of their as a singular dates only from 1795, although the Times places it fifty years earlier.

But that was then and this is now.

Obviously, this particular type of pronoun abuse is in wide use (not in anything I edit, though). And language is a living thing. The Chicago Manual of Style issues a new edition on average every seven years precisely because language—and grammar, its structure—is a living thing. So there may come a day when this practice is accepted as standard English.

I hope I’m retired by then. :)

Tweet:  Nouns and pronouns should agree. Stop using “they”!
Tweet:  Pronoun abuse is widespread. Stop the madness!

Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Posted in Your Editor Says … | Tagged as: , , , | Bookmark the permalink | Leave a trackback: Trackback URL

15 Comments

1. Alice Stegemann
    Posted 30 April, 2012 at 10:48 pm | Permalink

Preach it, sister!

• Jamie
      Posted 30 April, 2012 at 10:54 pm | Permalink

We shall get along famously. :)

2. Gail
    Posted 1 May, 2012 at 6:23 am | Permalink

Amen!

3. Posted 1 May, 2012 at 9:31 am | Permalink

You know how I feel.

4. Posted 2 May, 2012 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

I’m catching up on email and blogs after a recent trip, Jamie. I SO resonate with this one! I just opened a galley for review and was turned off almost immediately by the author’s use of “their” with a singular antecedent. I can only hope the error was caught in editing, but based on recent observation, that’s unlikely.

• Jamie
      Posted 2 May, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

I find it very distressing that things like this are completely missed by (dare I say it) some younger editors. :(

• Jamie
      Posted 2 May, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

The third bad example in the post above came from a freelance editor’s website. (sigh)

5. Posted 2 May, 2012 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

YES!!! Also, no offense intended to anyone, can’t we all agree to stop dropping articles, indefinite articles, and pronouns from the beginning of sentences? It is NOT conversational (and so what, if perpetuates error?); it is NOT economical, although web mail enables it; it is lazy. And wrong.

“Wanted to say Hi.”
    “Won’t believe what I saw!”
    “Wonder if you like this.”

Lazy. Pernicious. Wrong.

6. Posted 5 August, 2012 at 10:56 pm | Permalink

In brief, your problem with “they” as a singular third-person pronoun could be described as the conflict between grammatical correctness and political correctness!

7. Posted 18 October, 2012 at 6:53 pm | Permalink

I knew there was a reason I prefer to write in the first or second person. As a professional writer, the more time I spend reading online, the worse my grammar becomes and the faster I read (not necessarily a good thing!). This is a very nice reminder. I only wish I looked at it yesterday, before my article deadline :), just to make sure.

• Jamie
      Posted 18 October, 2012 at 7:12 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Amanda! I’m so glad to see you here! :)

8. Posted 10 December, 2012 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

Now, I ‘m just going to start by saying I really love the song I’m about to quote, but I sing it differently than Miss Swift, even when I’m singing along with her.

‘Cause when you’re fifteen and somebody tells you they love you
    You’re gonna believe them
    And when you’re fifteen feeling like there’s nothing to figure out
    Well, count to ten, take it in
    This is life before you know who you’re gonna be
    At fifteen

Okay, so this bothers me so much for two reasons. First is the topic of this post to which I am responding. Second, Taylor Swift likes boys. She is singing this song. And she’s singing in part about a girl named Abigail who “gave everything she had to a boy who changed his mind.” So why, oh why, aren’t the lyrics:

‘Cause when you’re fifteen and somebody tells you HE love you
    You’re gonna believe HIM
    And when you’re fifteen feeling like there’s nothing to figure out
    Well, count to ten, take it in

It sounds better, it’s more accurate, and “him” still sort of almost rhymes with “in,” if that was the intent. It rhymes better than “them” anyway.

Okay, rant over. But this one’s been in me for a while. Whenever this song comes on my iPod, I will be singing the grammatically correct version.

• Jamie
      Posted 10 December, 2012 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

The lyrics aren’t correct, I suspect, because songwriters probably don’t have editors. But I’m so pleased I’ve given you ammunition: sing it loud, sing it proud, dude. :)

9. Zack Dergen
    Posted 13 November, 2014 at 11:58 pm | Permalink

Take it up with the Bible, Chaucer, and Shakespeare (all of which use singular they). Singular they has always been a part of standard English–both then and now, which is why your “that was then, this is now” argument makes no sense–and its detractors have always been in the (clearly mistaken) minority. The arguments against singular they are terrible, the utility of including it in the language is enormous, and the ability to comprehend it is part of even a five-year-old’s skill set. In fact, a prescriptivist about grammar ought to be in favor of singular they precisely because it has always been considered acceptable. A schoolmarm here and a bad editor there can’t change this. So really, you’re just begging the question (that’s a logical fallacy, for those who don’t know) every time you write “Blah blah blah [singular] blah blah blah [plural].” And question begging arguments are–by definition–unacceptable.

3 Trackbacks

1. By You Can’t Make Me Like It, But— on 28 February, 2013 at 11:59 am

[...] why can’t I get behind the singular they? You know how I feel about it. Cue Bonnie Raitt singing the fabulous “I Can’t Make You Love Me” by Mike Reid and Allen [...]

2. By It’s National Grammar Day! on 4 March, 2013 at 7:12 am

[...] I have written a bit about grammar. Here, for example. Or here and, most recently, [...]

3. By A Good Place to Start on 25 April, 2013 at 3:56 pm

[...] which cost $9.00 in 1999. And if you’re keeping score, you’ll notice Vonnegut does not use the singular they. [...]